The First National Bank was established in 1925 to serve the financial needs of Mount Dora.
On September 12, 1925, The Bank of Mount Dora and Trust Company received a charter to open its doors as a state bank.
The bank was originally located in a small building on Donnelly Street, just south of Fifth Avenue. Soon thereafter, in 1926, the brick building commonly remembered as “the old bank building” – now the Shamrock Building – was constructed and occupied on the corner of Fifth and Donnelly.
On July 6, 1927, the bank received its charter as a national bank and officially changed its name to The First National Bank of Mount Dora. Throughout the depression the bank’s doors remained open and the bank continued to provide a safe and secure haven for the community’s banking needs.
In 1962 the bank received Federal approval to operate a trust department. The year 1965 saw the bank taking major strides by constructing and moving to the office, now considered the Main Office, at 714 North Donnelly. The ’80s saw First National Bank enter the world of branch banking by opening the Sorrento office on Highway 46 in Sorrento in 1985. This was followed by the opening of the Tri-City office on the corner of US Highway 441 and Eudora Road in 1988.
In 1990 we opened a new three-story addition to our Donnelly Street location to facilitate the growing demand for trust and investment services through our Trust Department. In 1992 we added a facility at the corner of Highway 19-A and Eudora Road to house bookkeeping and accounting functions for both the commercial bank and our trust department.
The bank expanded again in 2005 with the opening of an office for trust and investment services as well as commercial banking services in Leesburg. We added a full service banking office in south Leesburg at the intersection of Highway 27 and 48 in 2007. Our trust and investment, and banking operations are now consolidated at our south Leesburg location.